Home Calendar Departments Committees Careers News

About Public Works



Public Works Department Justin Smith, Superintendent
213 2nd St NE / PO Box 494
Email: lvoll@nd.gov
Watford City, ND 58854
Phone: (701) 444-8404


In the event of an urgent Public Works/utility related matter occurring after normal business hours, please call (701) 444-2400 to reach a Public Works Operator On-Call.

The City of Watford City's Public Works Department maintains
City roads and rights of ways as well as water, sewer and garbage services.

Utility Billing
Billing includes the City Services of Water, Sewer, and Garbage. Meter readings for water and sewer usages are collected near the end of every month. Utility Bills are then calculated and mailed within the first week of the new month (by the 5th). Utility Bill payments are due by the 20th of each month (unless otherwise stated on bill card) but should be payable upon receipt. A penalty of 1.75% of the balance will be charged to any account that becomes delinquent. Properties with delinquent utility accounts are subject to disconnection. To re-establish service if disconnection/shut-off occurs, the outstanding balance must be paid in full including a $35.00 disconnection fee and a $35.00 re-connection fee ($70.00 total).

Utility Billing Payments
Utility Bill payments can be made by cash, credit/debit card or checks made payable to: City of Watford City. Payments may be made in person during the hours of 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday at City Hall located: 213 2nd St NE Watford City, ND. Additionally, a drop-box is located outside the front entrance to City Hall for payments made after business hours. Payments can also be mailed to: City of Watford City P.O. Box 494 Watford City, ND 58854. Credit/Debit card payments can be processed over the phone by calling (701)444-2533 ext. 1. Online bill payments are also now available by selecting the online bill pay badge: Pay Online

The City also offers ACH payment. ACH allows for the direct debit of monthly Utility Bill payments from a bank account. Bank accounts are debited for the entire balance of the utility account on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. The Application Form to enroll in ACH payments can be found within the "Applications and Forms" tab: "Utility Account Direct Debit Form" .

Also provided in the "Applications and Forms" tab are "Move-in/Move-out" forms which are used to make Resident or Owner name/address changes to a utility billing account and to discontinue or begin new service.

For more information, questions, or changes regarding Utility Billing accounts please contact Public Works Assistant, LeAnne at (701)444-2533 ext. 3 or lvoll@nd.gov. 

Public Works Infrastructure
Required applications for work relating to excavations and/or new City Water and Sewer Access Permits, as well as, Construct/Repair Permits  ( altering grade, repairing public streets, sidewalks, driveways, curbs or gutters )  may be found online within the " Applications and Forms " tab on the left-hand side.

Public Works Infrastructure Inspections
It is the responsibility of the Permit Holder: applicant, owner, or licensed contractor to coordinate with the City Infrastructure Inspector as inspections are needed. Appointments for infrastructure inspections should be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact City Hall at (701)444-2533 to schedule an inspection. When calling for an inspection, please reference Permit number(s).

Any criteria not met or approved will require a re-inspection for a fee of $100.00. Please refer to Watford City Public Works Infrastructure Inspection form for inspection criteria and details. Any work covered or buried prior to an inspection may be required to be exposed.

For issues regarding water meters, meter readings, or issuing new meters, please contact Public Works at (701)444-2533. When a permitted project is ready for a new meter to be issued, please contact Public Works at least 24 hours in advance for a Service Order to be created. Please bring your permit card when picking up a new meter. Permits will need to be signed off on by a Public Works Representative  for a new meter to be issued.

A limited number of Construction Hydrant Meters are also available for temporary rental uses. Please refer to the "Construction/Hydrant Meter Form" provided within the "Applications and Forms" tab for more details.

All meters will be issued and inspected by City Public Works Inspectors/Operators. Note: City Inspectors/Operators do not install the meters.

      photo 55.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

Related Links

The Buzz

In Watford I got to go to my first National Park. I made some friends and we went to the badlands and saw things we never heard of before like jackrabbits and mule deer. In my opinion Watford is the best city ever!

~ Justice C Staton-Grade 5

© 2024 McKenzie County site by DAWA